Friday, November 15, 2013

Estate Sales

My hubby and I went to an estate sale this afternoon. I didn't know about it until we came upon it. I wish I would have gotten there sooner. It was my kind of sale! But, it was way too expensive even with the 20% discount since today was the second day. Tomorrow morning everything is 40% off so we might stop back to see if there are a couple of things that we were looking at still there. After one o'clock the prices are reduced 70% but there probably won't be a whole lot left. Anyway, they had some of the blue Ball jars that have the wire handles....I think my husband said they had 11. Right now I'm pretty well stocked on blue jars...they are selling kinda slow! These were marked $2.50 each and I don't like to pay more than $1.00 each. If we go in the morning they would be $1.50 each which I might just buy. I did have a lady call me this afternoon that said she had 40 or 50 jars for me so I might have all I need without paying more. They had some a small box of buttons, mostly pearl...the box measured probably 3x6 and 1 inch deep marked for $35!!! No way would I pay that much. Even tomorrow afternoon at 70% off they would be $10.50 which is more than I would want to pay just to resell them. Estate sales really aren't my cup of tea. They can be fun to look through but I guess I'm too cheap to pay the prices! At least around here they seem to be pretty expensive. Yard sales are much more fun for me....wish we could have them in the winter!
 


Today's Sales:

 The Old Curiosity Shop Butter Dish - Paid $1.38 - Sold at auction - $9.95
 
29 Metal Drawer Pulls - Paid $3.00 - Sold for $20.00
 
I went to see the doctor today. Last week I cut my leg on a curtain rod end that was sticking out on the bottom of our French door...the rubber end had come off. It left about a 2 inch gash. I just cleaned it up with a baby wipe and put band-aids on it and didn't think much more about it. Then 2 days ago one of my daughters thought it looked infected! I couldn't tell....it was a little red around the cut but it had a scab on part of it so I thought it was healing. So, being the paranoid person that I am I start googling things about infections and then thought about a tetanus shot! When was the last time I had one? It's already been a week since the cut so I'm getting scared! I called and talked to the nurse and she said the computer records only went back 5 years and I hadn't had one since then. She really made it seem like it was probably too late to get one for this incident but I should come in anyway. I called again this morning to find out exactly when my last one was so they looked up my records and it was in July of 2000! Yikes! 13 years ago! So I'm figuring I'm going to get lockjaw for sure now! I went in and the doctor said the cut looks fine...no infection, and he acted like it would be highly unlikely...like great odds....that I would get tetanus. I hope he's right! I looked up waaaayyyy too much information on it! It's a HORRIBLE disease! I really have scared myself silly about it. It's been 8 days since I cut myself  and it can take up to 21 days for symptoms to show up. 8 days is the average though. I will still be scared for the next 2 weeks! So there you have it.....now you know I'm a crazy person! I should really start getting busy with my listings to keep my mind off of it! Well, that's about all for now. Have a great day! ~~Pam
 



6 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like me when I google stuff. Dr. Google says everything is cancer!

    I don't like going to estate sales for the same reason. Its always overpriced stuff! I think people misunderstand the term Estate Sale though cause sometimes I show up and its just people having a garage sale inside their house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctors probably hate Google...lol! It's too easy to search anything and probably half of it isn't true! It's all too scary! Thanks for your comment! ~~Pam

      Delete
  2. If you can, always go to the estate sales when they cut prices by 50 percent or more. You will be amazed at what's left. Not everyone looks for the same things as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should have went Saturday afternoon....it was 70% off! Took a nap instead! ~~Pam

      Delete
  3. The estate sales around here are really a mixed bag. Some are way overpriced, but if it's a true estate sale, then it's the sale company's job to make as much as they can for the heirs. Not that I pay the prices they want! I find the estate sale companies run by men price things differently than the ones run by women. If you want good prices on vintage linens, go to the ones run by the guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I've only been to a few around here and it's a woman that's in charge......high prices! ~~Pam

      Delete